Consular Processing

There are two paths to permanent residency (or as it is commonly referred to – the Green Card). These are:

  • Consular Processing. This is the process that is used by immigrants that reside outside the United States or those who are ineligible to adjust their status in the United States. This process is typically used by family members who become eligible for a Green card because of a petition that was filed by one their family member or an employer. A person with a approved immigration petition and a Immigration number can apply for a immigrant visa at a US Consulate abroad in order to travel to the United States and being admitted as a permanent resident.
  • Adjustment of Status. This is process is typically used by eligible person who is currently residing in the United States to become permanent resident without having to travel to their home country to complete the process.

Consular Processing Steps

The steps below show the typical steps that are followed during consular Processing:

  • Consular Processing for Business related Immigration. For Employment based, the employer is required to file an I-140 petition on your behalf.  If you intend to invest significant amounts of capital into a business venture in the United States, then you will need to file an Immigrant Petition by Alien Entrepreneur.
  • Consular Processing for Family based immigration. If you are a relative of a US Citizen or a permanent resident (see family immigration for further information on attaining Green card through family) then they should have filed I-130 petition on your behalf.
  • Once you petition has been filed, wait for USCIS to make a decision on your application  by the USCIS. If your application is denied, you will be notified along with your rights to appeal. If you application has been approved but decide to apply for the visa abroad your application will be sent to the National Visa Center (NVC) until a immigrant visa number is available.
  • The NVC will notify both the petitioner and the beneficiary when it has received the application from USCIS as well when the visa number is available and when the processing fees and the supporting documents are due.
  • Once the visa is granted, the consular officer will give you a packet which you must deliver to the immigration officer at the port of entry.

How can our Boston Immigration Attorney help you…

If you have any questions or need help with Consular processing or permanent residency (Green card), contact the Law Offices of Trupti N Patel & Associates – Immigration Attorney Boston.

See what our client had to say about our Boston Immigration Lawyer …

“I got my Welcome letter and my Green Card in the mail this week! It Sure felt good to see that card! Thank you for all your help over so many years – I really, truly appreciate everything you’ve done!”
H Sonderland

See more client reviews here


Law Offices of Trupti N Patel & Associates
One Boston Place
201 Washington St #2600
Boston, MA 02108