Immigration: Business (B1) Visa

Business Visas (B-1) are granted to foreign nationals who are visiting the United States for a temporary time. As part of the requirement for this visa, the applicant must show that they have a permanent residence in their home country, which they have no intention of abandoning and that they are entering the United States  for a temporary period to engage in activity relating to business, such as:

  • Attending conferences /conventions in the United States on specific dates.
  • Attending training
  • Business meeting
  • Contract Negotiations
  • Consulting with Business Associates

In order to qualify for the B-1 visa, the applicant must be a citizen of a foreign country which they plan to return to once they have concluded their visit to the United States. The B-1 visa does not allow an individual to work in the United States. The B-1 visitor must not receive a salary from the US entity they are visiting and must continue to be paid by the foreign employer.

The application should consider taking the following documents if they are applying for a Business Visa:

  • Letters/Documents from the institution that is proving the training or hosting the conference with details such as the dates, place, etc.
  • Letter from your present employer, stating the foreign employer’s business activities, that the applicant is an employee, and the nature of the applicants visit.
  • Any documents showing the communication between yourself and the party you are visiting
  • Confirmation of any lodging booked in the preparation of your visit.

Visa Waiver Program

Foreign nationals from countries which are part of the Visa Waiver Program may travel to the United without needing to apply for the B-1 Visa. However there certain restrictions that apply, please consult an immigration attorney for further details.

If your plans change once you have entered the United States with a B-1 Status, please contact an experienced Immigration Lawyer as you may be able to apply for a change of status.

How we can help..

The Law Offices of Trupti N Patel & Associates, Immigration Lawyer Boston  has filed numerous B-1 petitions and can provide you with guidance on the paperwork that will be required to be filed for the B-1 Visa. If you would like a consultation with one of our immigration lawyers regarding a B-1 Visas, please call us at (617) 367-6750 or click here to submit a request for a consultation with one of our Immigration Lawyers.

Frequently Asked Question about the Business Visa

1.    How long can I stay in the United States on a B-1 Visa?

You are allowed to stay for up to a period of six months. This may be extended for another 6
months for a total period of 1 year.

2.    Can my spouse /children accompany me on my travel to United States?

Yes, but they will each need to apply for a B-2 Visa.

If you are planning on attending a consultation with one of Immigration Lawyers at our law offices in person you might like to see the Directions to our Office.

Law Offices of Trupti N Patel & Associates
One Boston Place, 201 Washington St #2600, Boston, MA 02108
(617) 367-6750