Business Immigration: I Visa

The non-immigrant I visa is available for those individuals who represent members (reporters, film crew, editors, etc.) of foreign media organization, may that be radio, television, film or other form of foreign information media. In order to qualify for this visa, the person(s) applying for this classification must demonstrate that:

  • They are a part of foreign media who is entering the United States and are coming to the United States to engage solely in this profession
  • They are a part of a media organization with offices in a foreign country

The consular officer at the U.S. embassy will decide if the activity qualifies for an I Visa. If you travel to the United States without a non-immigrant I-visa you may be denied entry even if you are a citizen of a country that participates in the Visa Waiver Program.

How long can I Stay?

The Custom and Border Protection will decide whether the I-visa holder will be admitted into the United States and if so, stamp the I-94 form with the dates the visa holder will be permitted to stay in the United States. Admission is usually granted for the duration of stay and the visa holder does not need to apply for an extension as long as the visa holder continues to work in the same media for the same employer. If the date has been specified in the I-94 form and the visa holder wishes to stay beyond that date, the I-visa holder must apply for an extension.

Can my Family Members Accompany me?

The spouse and children (under 21 years of age) may accompany or follow to join an I-Visa holder by applying for I non-immigrant visa for themselves. The spouse and children are not authorized to work during their stay in the United States however, they are permitted to study in the United States without the need for applying for an F-1 Visa. If the family of the I-Visa holder does not intend to stay with him/her, they should apply for a B2 visitor visa if their country of origin is not a participant in the Visa –Waiver Program.

How we can we help…

If you are planning any media activities in the United States, please contact the Boston Immigration Lawyer – Trupti N Patel & Associates at (617) 367-6750 to see how we can help you with your immigration questions relating to the I Visa category.

If you plan on attending a consultation with one of our immigration attorneys, in person, please see the Directions to our Office

Law Offices of Trupti N Patel & Associates
One Boston Place, 201 Washington St #2600, Boston, MA 02108
(617) 367-6750