People from all over the world apply for asylum in the United States every year. They come to the United States because they are either persecuted or fear being persecuted for their race, practicing their religion or their political or social affiliations in the country of their residence. The eligible asylum applicant may be granted permission to remain in the United States.


The family members (spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21 years) of the asylum seeker can be included in the application for asylum. If the asylum seeker has already been granted asylum in the United States and wants to bring their family members to the United States, the family member’s application must be filed within two years of being granted their asylum.

Working in the United States

The asylum seeker is not permitted to work in the United States at the same time that they are applying for asylum. The asylum seeker can only apply for work authorization if 150 or more days have elapsed since the complete asylum application was submitted and the application has not been approved. The applicant can work immediately once they have been granted asylum. Although not necessary, some asylees obtain Employment Authorization Documents (EADs) for convenience or identification purposes.

Applying for Green Card

The asylee may apply for a green card one year after being granted asylum by applying for an Adjustment of Status for themselves as well as each member of their family that was filed as part of  their asylum application.

How can we help…

The Law Offices of Trupti N Patel & Associates has been successful in helping a number of individuals seek asylum in the United States.  If you are an asylum seeker and are looking at your immigration options and would like a consultation, please call us at (617) 367-6750 or click here to request a consultation regarding Asylum with one of our Immigration Lawyers in Boston, Massachusetts.

If you plan on attending a consultation with one of our immigration attorneys, in person, please see the Directions to our Office
Law Offices of Trupti N Patel & Associates
One Boston Place, 201 Washington St #2600, Boston, MA 02108
(617) 367-6750