Family Immigration: K-1 Fiancé(e) Visa

The non-immigration K-1 visa is reserved for United Citizens who wish to bring a citizen of a foreign country residing oversees to the United States with the intention of gettinImmigration Attorney Bostong married.

In order to apply for a fiancé(e) visa, the petitioner must show that they are a United States Citizen and that they intend to get married with 90 days of your fiancé(e) entering the United States. They must also show that any previous marriages were legally terminated. Additionally, you must show that both of the partners in person met at least once in the past two years, unless such meeting would have violated the norms of their culture or a such meeting would have resulted in any hardship.

Once the K-1 visa is issued, the fiancé(e) can enter the United States for a period of 90 days so that marriage can take place. Once married, the fiancé(e) can apply for permanent residency.

If the U.S citizen plans to marry a foreign citizen oversees or if the fiancé(e) is already in the United States legally, then they do not need to apply for the K-1 visa, they can apply for permanent residency click here for more information.

If the partners do not get married within 90 days, the K-visa expires and cannot be extended. The fiancé(e) will need to leave the United States as not doing so will violate the US immigration laws resulting in deportation.

Work Authorization

The fiancé(e) can apply for work authorization once they have entered the United States. The work authorization will be valid for 90 days from the date of entry. The fiancé(e) can also apply for extended work authorization at the same as applying for permanent residency.


There is a provision K classification for a non-immigrant K-2 visa for any children (unmarried and under the age of 21) of the fiancé(e).

How can we help…

The Law offices of Trupti N Patel & Associates, Immigration Attorney Boston has helped obtain the desired outcome for individuals seek the K-1 and K-2 visas. Please call our immigration offices at (617) 367-6750 to see how our experienced and knowledgeable immigration attorneys can help you.

If you plan on attending a consultation with one of our immigration attorneys, in person, please see the Directions to our Office
Law Offices of Trupti N Patel & Associates
One Boston Place, 201 Washington St #2600, Boston, MA 02108
(617) 367-6750