Immigration – Exchange Visitor Visa (J-1)

The non-immigrant J-1 Visa classification is reserved for persons who are coming to the United States for the purposes of performing research, teaching, studying, receiving training or to receive graduate medical education/training. The public and private entities are designated by Department of State to act as exchange sponsors.  These programs are designed to promote the exchange of knowledge and skills in the fields of education, arts, and science. Some examples of exchange visitors include Professors or Scholars, Research Assistants, Students, Trainees, Teachers, Specialists, Nannies/Au pairs and Camp Counselors.


A  J-1 Visa holder is authorized to work in the United States under the terms of the J-1 visa program. However, the J-1 visa holder must get approval from the sponsoring institution.

Family Members

The spouses and children (under the ages of 21 years) are entitled to an J-2 visa.

How we can help…

The Law Office of Trupti N Patel & Associates, Immigration Attorney Boston has helped individuals obtain a J-1 and J-2 visas. If you would like a consultation with one of our immigration Attorneys, please call us at (617) 367-6750 or click here to request a consultation to see how we can help you apply for the non-immigrant J-1/J-2 visa.
If you plan on attending a consultation with one of our immigration attorneys, in person, please see the Directions to our Office
Law Offices of Trupti N Patel & Associates
One Boston Place, 201 Washington St #2600, Boston, MA 02108
(617) 367-6750