Boston Immigration Lawyer

Immigration: Nurses – H-1B1

The Registered Nurse Work Visa classification has changed several times in the last 20 years. The H-1A Visa classification was terminated on September 1, 1995. Then the H-1C classification was created as a result of shortage of qualified Nurses. However the H-1C Visa classification expired on June 13, 2005.

Currently, there is no specific visa available for Nurses to enter and work in the United States. However, there are two ways that foreign individuals wishing to work as registered nurses in the United States can apply for one of the following visas:

  • H-1B Visa for Skilled Workers

In order to work in the United States, the foreign national must qualify for a specialty occupation. Generally speaking the Registered Nurses would not qualify for an H-1B1 visa, however, there are some specialized occupations that require Nurses with a Bachelors or higher degree and as a result this would satisfy the requirements for the H-1B1 visa. Other requirements may be a state license to practice the occupation, completion of degree, experience and expertise.

  • TN NAFTA Work Visa

A Registered Nurse is also an approved NAFTA profession. The TN NAFTA Work Visa is only available to citizens of Canada or Mexico. Please see here for more information on NAFTA TN Visa.

How can we help…..

If you are a Nurse with at least a bachelors degree with employment position that requires such specialized skills and you want to explore your immigration possibilities, please call the Law offices of Trupti N Patel & Associates – Immigration Lawyer Boston at (617) 367 6750.

If you plan on attending a consultation with one of our immigration attorneys, in person, please see the Directions to our Office
Law Offices of Trupti N Patel & Associates
One Boston Place, 201 Washington St #2600, Boston, MA 02108
(617) 367-6750