Business immigration : E-1 Treaty Traders

The E-1 Treaty Trader visa is a nonimmigrant visa allows nationals of a foreign country to enter the U.S. to engage in trade. A treaty trader is a foreign national who belongs to a country that is a signatory to a treaty with the United States for business and navigation. The E-1 visa is available to qualified individuals or employees of a treaty trader organization. Trade includes commercial trade in goods and services like, for example, Banking, Insurance, Transportation, Travel and Leisure, News Media, Accounting, Engineering, Management Consulting, Technology as well as other measurable services.

Eligibility for E1 visa

You may qualify for an E-1 Treat Trader visa if:

  • You are national of the treaty country
  • You meet the definition of an employee and have the same nationality as the sponsoring treaty trader organization or individual . The employee must be employed in a managerial capacity otherwise they must be an employee with special qualifications (such as a degree, special skills) making them essential to the organization’s operations.
  • It is an organization which is at least 50% owned by the person(s) in the United States and who are the citizens of the treaty country.

While residing in the United States, the treaty trader or employee must work in the activity that was approved when the initial E-1 visa was granted. An approval must be attained from USCIS if there has been a change in the beneficiary’s role. Under certain circumstances, an E-1 employee may work for the parent organization.

Application for an E-1 Treaty Trader Visa

If the treaty trader is in the United States under a non-immigrant visa (in-status), they may apply for a Change of Status to an E-1 visa. If the treaty trader is outside the United States, they or the organization they belong to can apply for an E-1 Visa.

Length of  stay

A treaty trader or an employee will be granted an initial stay of two years. The treaty trader can apply for extensions in increments of two years after the initial period. There is no limit on the number of extensions a treat trader can apply for.

Family of E-1 treaty Trader

The family members of E-1 Treaty trader or employees may also apply for a dependant E-1 visas. The family members include spouses and/or unmarried children less than 21 years of age. The spouses may also apply for work authorization and on approval would be able to work in the united Stated in an unrelated field from the treaty trader.

How can we help?

The Law offices of Trupti N Patel & Associates, Business Immigration Lawyer, Boston has experience in obtaining E-Treaty Trader visas on behalf of their clients. If you are looking for an experienced Immigration Lawyer to help you or your organization apply for an E-1 visa, please call us at (617) 367-6750.

If you plan on attending a consultation with one of our immigration attorneys, in person, please see the Directions to our Office
Law Offices of Trupti N Patel & Associates
One Boston Place, 201 Washington St #2600, Boston, MA 02108
(617) 367-6750