Religious Visa

Immigration: Religious (R-1) Visa

The non-immigration R-1 visa is reserved for the persons who wish to enter the United States to temporarily work in a religious occupation or vocation such as a minister. The R-1 recipient’s employer must be a non-profit religious organization located in the United States or a religious organization that is covered by tax exemption requirements or a non-profit religious organization that is affiliated with a religious denomination in the United States. The R-1 visa is available for religious occupations that are defined as those whose duties must:

The term “Religious occupations” does not include primarily administrative or support positions such as janitors, maintenance workers, clerical employees, fund-raisers, or similar positions solely involved in raising funds. Some of the qualifying occupations include ministers, clergy, nuns, monks, religious brothers and sisters, liturgical workers, religious instructors or counselors, cantors (choir leaders), catechists, workers in religious hospitals or religious health care facilities whose job duties involve furthering the religion’s creed and beliefs, missionaries, religious translators, and religious broadcasters. The occupation must require at least 20 hours of work.


To qualify for the R-1 visa, the foreign national must show that they have been a member of a bona fide religious denomination (having a non-profit religious organization status in the United States) for at least two years immediately before applying for an R-1 visa. If the beneficiary is applying for a new R-1 visa (a new five-year maximum stay), they must have resided outside the United States for at least one year.

Period of Stay

An initial stay of 30 months may be granted to the R-1 recipient by the USCIS. This can be extended for another 30 months but cannot exceed 5 years.

Family of R-1 Visa Holders

The spouse or unmarried children under the age of 21 of an R-2 recipient may qualify for an R-2 visa. An R-2 visa holder is not authorized to work in the United States.

How can we help….

The Law Offices of Trupti N Patel & Associates – Immigration Attorney Boston – has been successful in helping individuals as well as religious organizations apply for R-1/R-2 visas. Please call our offices at (617) 367-6750 to see how we can help with your questions regarding the R-1 visa.

If you plan on attending a consultation with one of our immigration attorneys, in person, please see the Directions to our Office

Law Offices of Trupti N Patel & Associates
One Boston Place, 201 Washington St #2600, Boston, MA 02108
(617) 367-6750


Client Testimonials

Star Icon

“Thank you so much for all of the hard work you have put in to the process of helping me become a permanent resident. This has been a long journey that has been challenging at times. It has taken 6 years, 3 jobs, 2 states, 2 renewals of my H1-B, multiple trips to embassies/consulates in…

Read More
AG A Greig
Star Icon

“First to say – i finally received a green card with these guys help! Everyone working at this law office is very knowledgeable and responsive. I have been working with them through my employer and it has been several years. My H1B was approved through this law office as well. I recommend anyone who is…

Read More posted on Logo
S Shin K.
Star Icon

“It is recommended that one should have an immigration lawyer handy. I recommend that this attorney be Trupti Patel. My case was not straightforward and they were very helpful. They get a lot of referrals and very busy but always available when you need them. I found them very knowledgeable about all types of immigration…

Read More posted on Logo
H Harvik R.
Star Icon

We are extremely happy with the Trupti N. Patel & Associates services, and it has been almost ten years that we have been working with Attorney Patel and her staff for all our US non-immigrant visa and immigration requirements and they consistently provide us with outstanding value. Their fees are extremely competitive, yet they offer…

Read More posted on Logo
V Vishrut Shah
Star Icon

Trupti Patel associates are the best professional law firm and highly knowledgeable staff. Really appreciate the patience and empathy presented by Trupti and AnnMarie during all stages / scenarios they handle on each case. Highly recommend Trupti Patel associates if you want prompt, trusted and knowledgeable team to address any visa cases. Thank you.

Read More posted on Logo
N Nandan Chandrashekar
Star Icon

The team at TNP does a good job gauging the client’s needs and attending to them. I have had a fair share of ups and down with the defunct legal immigration process here in America and the TNP team has helped me navigate the same. I would particularly like to recommend legal assistant Ms. AnnMarie…

Read More posted on Logo
R Rahulraju Rudraraju Murali
Read All Testimonials
The American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) is the national association of more than 16,000 attorneys and law professors who practice and teach immigration law. Bagde Logo
The American Bar Association is a voluntary bar association of lawyers and law students, which is not specific to any jurisdiction in the United States. The mission of the ABA is to be the national representative of the legal profession, serving the public and the profession by promoting justice, professional excellence, and respect for the law. Bagde Logo finds and reviews the top service professionals in over 200 industries across the U.S. Each month, we research more than 60,000 businesses to help customers find the best-qualified professional for their needs. Bagde Logo
The Better Business Bureau (BBB) is a private organization that provides the public with information on businesses and charities. Bagde Logo
The Women's Bar Association (WA) of Massachusetts has over 1500 members and was founded in Boston, Massachusetts in 1978 with a goal to achieve the full and equal participation of women in the legal profession and in a just society. Bagde Logo
Boston Bar Association is dedicated to advancing the highest standards of excellence for the legal profession, facilitating access to justice, fostering a diverse and inclusive professional community, and serving our city. Bagde Logo
The Massachusetts Bar Association (MBA) is non-profit organization that serves the legal profession and the public by promoting the administration of justice, legal education, professional excellence, and respect for the law. Bagde Logo