Immigration: P-1A Visa

The P-1A is a non-immigrant visa that is available to athletes who are planning on attending an internationally recognized sporting event hosted in the United States as either as an individual or part of a team.  For those athletes participating in the competition as an individual they must show that they are internationally renowned with skills and abilities that stand beyond the ordinary. For those athletes participating in a team-sport they must show that they have distinguished themselves in the sport and the event they are attending is internationally recognized.

 Support Staff

The accompanying staff (coach, trainers, other team officials) who provide essential support for an individual athlete or a team can also qualify for the P-1A visa. To qualify the support staff must show that their past experience of working with the athlete or the team as well as a verbal or written contract of their role as it pertains to the individual or the team.

Period of Stay

USCIS will determine the initial time the Athlete can remain in the United States based on their evaluation of the time that will be needed for completion of the event. This initial period of stay could be up to a maximum 5 years for Individual participants and up to one year for team-participants. Individuals may apply of extension of the P-1A visa in increments of five years and team members in increments of one year. The individual athlete’s total length of stay in the United States cannot exceed 10 years. The support staff can apply for extension in increments of 5 years.

 Family Members

The spouse and unmarried children (under the age of twenty-one) of the participating athlete can apply for a P-4 visa. The family members cannot work while in the United States but may full or part-time course of study.

 How we can help…..

If you are an athlete or a member of a team looking to participating in an event that will hosted in the United States, please contact the Law offices of Trupti N Patel & Associates – Boston Immigration Attorney – to see how we can help you or your team with questions on the immigration process of attaining the P-1A visa.

If you plan on attending a consultation with one of our immigration attorneys, in person, please see the Directions to our Office
Law Offices of Trupti N Patel & Associates
One Boston Place, 201 Washington St #2600, Boston, MA 02108
(617) 367-6750