Immigration : Student Visa (F1)shutterstock_290209487

A great number of renowned Institutions of higher education together with the wide variety of certified programs they offer attracts hundreds of thousands of people who want to study and improve their careers to the United States every year. The F-1 visa classification if available to students who meet the following criteria :

  • They must be enrolled in a full-time course of study in an academic program at an approved educational institution. This must culminate in a degree, diploma or a certificate.
  • They must be proficient in English.
  • They must be financially self sufficient for the entire length of the their study.
  • They must maintain a residence abroad.

Family Members

Spouses and children (under the age of 21 years) can apply for an F-2 visa.


During the first year of their study, the student on an F-1 visa may work in an approved occupation on campus only. After the first year of their study, the student on an F1 visa may work in one of the following types of employments:

  • Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
  • Optional Practical Training (OPT)
  • Science Technical Engineering Mathematics (OPT)

as long as the employment is related to their field of study and approved by the educational institution they are attending.

How can we help…

Law Office of Immigration Attorney Boston, Trupti N Patel & Associates has filed numerous visas on behalf of students with the USCIS. If you are a student and are looking for your immigration options and would like a consultation, please call us at (617) 367-6750 or click on here to request a consultation regarding Student Visas with our Immigration Attorneys in Boston, Massachusetts.
If you plan on attending a consultation with one of our immigration attorneys, in person, please see the Directions to our Office
Law Offices of Trupti N Patel & Associates
One Boston Place, 201 Washington St #2600, Boston, MA 02108
(617) 367-6750