USCIS Extends Work Authorization for Certain H-4 Visa Holders

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) announced today that, effective May 26, 2015, that they will extend ligibility for employment authorization to certain H-4 dependent spouses of H-1B nonimmigrants who are seeking employment-based lawful permanent resident status. This rule change will allow these H-4 dependent spouses to work in the United States.

Eligible individuals include certain H-4 dependent spouses of H-1B nonimmigrants who are the principal beneficiaries of an approved I-140, Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker; or have been granted H-1B status under sections 106(a) and (b) of the American Competitiveness in the Twenty-first Century Act of 2000 as amended by the 21st Century Department of Justice Appropriations Authorization Act. The Act permits H-1B nonimmigrants seeking lawful permanent residence to work and remain in the United States beyond the six-year limit on their H-1B status.

If you think that you qualify for work authorization under this new rule and would like to apply, please contact our Offices at 617-367-6750 to see how we may be able to help you.